ROBERT G. LAKE GENERATING STATION

Trent Rapids Power Corporation

ROBERT G. LAKE GENERATING STATION

Between 1899 and the 1920's, hydro-electric power stations were built along the Trent-Severn Waterway System. These plants formed an important part of the early power generation and transmission infrastructure in Ontario and signalled a 20th century resource use of the waterway.

In 2008, construction of the most recent addition to the Trent-Severn Waterway began, developed by Trent Rapids Power Corporation (TRPC). This 8.0MW run-of-river hydroelectric generation station went into service on December 31st, 2009 and was named the Robert G. Lake Generating Station after the long-standing president of Peterborough Utilities Group Bob Lake.

The plant is adjacent to Locks 22 and 23 within the city of Peterborough. It generates approximately 30,000 MWh of green electricity each year, enough to power 3,000 homes and offset 20,000 to 30,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions annually. In partnership with Peterborough Utilities Group, GPC holds a 50% economic interest in the plant.